• lfs users?

From paul lee@1:105/420 to All on Sat Aug 5 20:52:25 2023
    so i chose fidonet for this post on purpose. :P i wanted it go get out to as many nix users as possible, with a broad reach that will get to bbs users beyond my inner-circle... i've been having a great time learning linux from scratch. believe it or not, i've installed lfs several times; sometimes because - broken, but once i got the hang of it, and learned the underlying skills needed to create successful systems, it was more about trying all the flavors of lfs available.

i ended up liking lfs_sd [linux from scratch systemd] and blfs [beyond linux from scratch]. i'm getting consistent builds and even use alfs [automated linux from scratch] which uses scripting to streamline the build process - anf then you just edit the handful of 'variable' files it builds.. hostname, hosts, resolve.conf and network settings files... fstab and things like that. blah.

i've got a pretty solid system now, with a good kernel build, that has networking - both eth and wifi!!! i've built several after-lfs packages like cmatrix, openssh, nano and m0re.

are there other lfs users in the bbs-land? do you run on actual hardware - this is what i find most useful... if you have a thinkpad thats a bit long in the tooth, its a great platform.

what do you like to install on? i prefer live-linunx usb's; endevourOS, knoppix or even tails... i like to install lfs to a separate HDD as doing so with the donor and lfs on one drive is - ugly.

lemme know if you've been counted on lfs. lemme know if you've built anything - well not even cool, but... useful? no... lemme know, tho. :P

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (1:105/420)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to paul lee on Sun Aug 6 02:29:40 2023
    i ended up liking lfs_sd [linux from scratch systemd] and blfs [beyond linux from scratch]. i'm getting consistent builds and even use alfs [automated linux from scratch] which uses scripting to streamline the build process - anf then you just edit the handful of 'variable' files it builds.. hostname, hosts, resolve.conf and network settings files... fstab and things like
    that. blah.

I run lfs too, I like the sysv version. I like systemd also but I haven't figured out how to quiet the console.

i've got a pretty solid system now, with a good kernel build, that has networking - both eth and wifi!!! i've built several after-lfs packages like cmatrix, openssh, nano and m0re.

I'm a gamer (old time games) so I build prboom-plus, quakespasm and ioQuake3 and other things like that.

are there other lfs users in the bbs-land? do you run on actual hardware - this is what i find most useful... if you have a thinkpad thats a bit long in the tooth, its a great platform.

I have three machines that I installed lfs on. My desktop where I play the most, the BBS machine that just runs the BBS, and a laptop.

what do you like to install on? i prefer live-linunx usb's; endevourOS, knoppix or even tails... i like to install lfs to a separate HDD as doing so with the donor and lfs on one drive is - ugly.

So far I have only installed on real hardware.

lemme know if you've been counted on lfs. lemme know if you've built
    anything well not even cool, but... useful? no... lemme know, tho. :P

I was counted on lfs late last year or early this year.

I found lfs to be quite a project but it has been rewarding.

I've built a few things outside of blfs, but I don't remember what at the moment. Minicom, szrz, and modumu2k recently.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001.2989 to paul lee on Sun Aug 6 15:47:42 2023
    Hey paul!

i've been having a great time learning linux from scratch.

Me too. I've been enjoying it since it started way back when around 1998-ish or so. This machine is lfs as we speak and has been since it first arrived here. It has known nothing else other than a live slackware usb boot. I've done the same with lfs but not for ages now.

i've got a pretty solid system now, with a good kernel build,
    that has networking - both eth and wifi!!!

Which kernel version?

Life is good,
    Maurice

-o o- -o o- o- -o -o o- -o -o o- -o -o o- o- -o
    (\ /) (\ /) /) (\ (\ /) (\ (\ /) (\ (\ /) /) (\
    ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ... Fidonet 4K - You load sixteen penguins and what do you get?
    --- GNU bash, version 5.2.15(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
    * Origin: One of us @ (1:153/7001.2989)
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001.2989 to Alan Ianson on Sun Aug 6 16:04:12 2023
    Hey Alan!

I like the sysv version.

Amen. Last time I tried systemd was with clfs (cross linux from scratch) when it was still active. I've stuck with sysv ever since.

Life is good,
    Maurice

o- o- -o o- o- o- o- o- -o o- o- o- o- -o -o o- /) /) (\ /) /) /) /) /) (\ /) /) /) /) (\ (\ /) ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ... Fidonet 4K - Sweet Sixteen Penguins of the Apocalypse.
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Maurice Kinal on Sun Aug 6 13:46:52 2023
    I like the sysv version.

Amen. Last time I tried systemd was with clfs (cross linux from scratch) when it was still active. I've stuck with sysv ever since.

Yep, I've stuck with sysv. I just redid my desktop with r11.3-198 yesteday (finished early this morning), glicbc-2.38 was calling my name.. :)

The only issue I had was the init_net_rules.sh failed because of a missing file. I copied that file over my my slackware host and everything booted up nicely.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001.53423 to Alan Ianson on Sun Aug 6 21:02:35 2023
    Hey Alan!

glicbc-2.38 was calling my name..

Me too on this machine (epyc);

:r !/usr/lib/libc.so.6
    GNU C Library (GNU libc) stable release version 2.38.
    Copyright (C) 2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
    There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Compiled by GNU CC version 13.2.0.
    libc ABIs: UNIQUE IFUNC ABSOLUTE
    Minimum supported kernel: 4.14.0
    For bug reporting instructions, please see: <https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

Only one failure so far, alsa-utils, but given this machine doesn't have a sound chip/adapter then it isn't all that critical. Also having issues with HT40 and thus the wireless mesh can't get full wireless-n speeds. I can get realiable HT20 at "72.2 MBit/s MCS 7 short GI" connections on mesh but require HT40 for the 150 MBit connections which is maximum for the adapters I am using (RT-3070). However I am sure that is a kernel issue rather than glibc.

Other than that is looks to be headed in the right direction.

Life is good,
    Maurice

-o o- -o -o -o -o -o -o o- o- o- -o o- o- -o o-
    (\ /) (\ (\ (\ (\ (\ (\ /) /) /) (\ /) /) (\ /)
    ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ... Fidonet Unplugged - One in a million.
    * Origin: One of us @ (1:153/7001.53423)
  • From paul lee@1:105/420 to Alan Ianson on Sun Aug 6 21:43:26 2023
    I run lfs too, I like the sysv version. I like systemd also but I haven't figured out how to quiet the console.

Very nice - I'm currently trying to tame a systemd install and its giving me a little more headache than the standard build.

I'm a gamer (old time games) so I build prboom-plus, quakespasm and ioQuake3 and other things like that.

Ahhh - good ideas; I'll have to attempt to get the retro running. :P

I have three machines that I installed lfs on. My desktop where I play
    the most, the BBS machine that just runs the BBS, and a laptop.

I enjoy hardware builds the best.
    I've built a few things outside of blfs, but I don't remember what at the moment. Minicom, szrz, and modumu2k recently.

Thanks for sharing - I've been enjoying learning the LFS.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From paul lee@1:105/420 to Maurice Kinal on Sun Aug 6 21:47:13 2023
    Which kernel version?

6.11!

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Richard Falken@1:135/115 to paul lee on Tue Aug 8 09:44:22 2023
    Re: lfs users?
    By: paul lee to All on Sat Aug 05 2023 08:52 pm

are there other lfs users in the bbs-land? do you run on actual hardware - t

My guess is people uses LFS as a learning experience and, if they want to roll with a source based Linux distribution, then roll with Gentoo, Crux or, maybe, KISS or CARBS.

Realistically speaking, if you intend to use an Operarting System for something other than play you need some infrastructure for installing or building packages.

How do you manage software upgrades? Have you adapted a package or ports system to your installs? If I wanted to rock with LFS I would consider NetBSD's pkgsrc... it would be a cheap way to include a packaging/ports/software management system on a minimalist Linux distribution.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:135/115)
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001.2989 to Richard Falken on Tue Aug 8 17:38:16 2023
    Hey Richard!

My guess is people uses LFS as a learning experience

I've learned much over the last 25 years (LFS) or so that I probably wouldn't know otherwise. Personally I wouldn't want it any other way which probably explains why I started with Slackware provided source and build scripts. They were amd continue to be the best even when they aren't. Though different LFS is reminisent of the original purpose of all that is Linuxie. I have never seen the same degree of openness from any BSD distribution.

How do you manage software upgrades?

As always, gcc and friends. Is there a better way?

Life is good,
    Maurice

o- o- o- -o -o o- o- o- -o o- o- o- -o o- o- o- /) /) /) (\ (\ /) /) /) (\ /) /) /) (\ /) /) /) ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ... Fidonet 4K - You load sixteen penguins and what do you get?
  • From Benny Pedersen@2:230/0 to paul lee on Mon Aug 28 23:02:48 2023
    Hello paul!

06 Aug 2023 21:47, paul lee wrote to Maurice Kinal:

Which kernel version?
    6.11!

is it vissible in kernel.org ?

if not its fake news :)

Regards Benny

... too late to die young :)

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/6.4.12-gentoo-dist (x86_64))
    * Origin: gopher://fido.junc.eu/ (2:230/0)
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to Benny Pedersen on Mon Aug 28 23:29:32 2023
    Hey Benny!

is it vissible in kernel.org ?

You already know that it isn't. 6.5 is the latest. I am guessing he meant 5.11 which appears to be the winner in the linux-5 universe.

Only if it is fat, stupid and orange-coloured.

Life is good,
    Maurice

-o -o -o o- o- -o -o o- o- o- o- -o o- o- o- o-
    (\ (\ (\ /) /) (\ (\ /) /) /) /) (\ /) /) /) /)
    ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ... Bleda gedreosaþ, wynna gewitaþ, wera geswicaþ.
    Fruits fall, joys depart, agreements pass away.
    * Origin: Little Mikey's Brain - Ladysmith BC, Canada (1:153/7001)
  • From Karel Kral@2:423/39 to All on Tue Aug 29 09:04:00 2023
    Hello Maurice!

28 Aug 23 23:29, you wrote to Benny Pedersen:

Only if it is fat, stupid and orange-coloured.

May I ask for help? I had some lfs activity in the past (2002 +-) Recently I wanted to "do it again" - but have no luck. (googling still)

I remember I just downloaded some package, configured (it was needed to have just some combination of screen and tcp client), built, it created content of "filesystem" which I put that to vmware - that it was.

Do you happen to know some easy description/link where to read how I can use my previous approach? (maybe it was just I misbehaviour that time).

Karel

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Plast DATA (2:423/39)
  • From Alan Ianson@1:153/757 to Karel Kral on Tue Aug 29 01:06:30 2023
    May I ask for help?

Sure.

I had some lfs activity in the past (2002 +-) Recently I wanted to "do it again" - but have no luck. (googling still)

I just built a fresh lfs system, Node.js is building over there as we speak.

I remember I just downloaded some package, configured (it was needed to have just some combination of screen and tcp client), built, it created content of "filesystem" which I put that to vmware - that it was.

There must be many way to do it but I did it like this.

I booted slackware live cd and followed the book to get linux installed.

Do you happen to know some easy description/link where to read how I can use my previous approach? (maybe it was just I misbehaviour that time).

You can read the linux from scratch book online, or download it and load it up in your favorite browser. You can also grab a .pdf if that works for you.

https://linuxfromscratch.org

Start with lfs (linux from scratch) and then once you have your computer booted you can move beyond that to blfs "beyond linux from scratch".

If you try it, let us know how it goes.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
  • From Maurice Kinal@1:153/7001 to Karel Kral on Tue Aug 29 19:04:49 2023
    Hey Karel!

Do you happen to know some easy description/link where to read
    how I can use my previous approach?

See https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/ for a potential 'fix'. They claim it's abandonware but I am guessing it could lead you to where you wish to go with it. Also I believe slackware has some ideas worth exploring in terms of live
    CD/DVD/USB thingies.

Myself I am waiting for a working aarch64 linux-6 kernel for an orange pi 5 so that can be liberated from the evil clutches of the Debian and/or Android crowd(s). I am hopeful it will be soon and I am sure lfs will be part and parcel of that much needed fix.

If not I still have x86_64 to brag about. :-)

(maybe it was just I misbehaviour that time).

Much has changed since 2002. Alan's advice is well worth exploration.

Life is good,
    Maurice

o- o- -o -o o- o- o- o- -o o- -o o- -o o- -o -o /) /) (\ (\ /) /) /) /) (\ /) (\ /) (\ /) (\ (\ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ... Blind byþ bam eagum se þe breostum ne starat.
    He is blind in both eyes who does not look with the heart.
    * Origin: Little Mikey's Brain - Ladysmith BC, Canada (1:153/7001)