• NIC issues

From Sean Dennis@618:618/1 to All on Mon Jul 3 16:58:26 2023
    Hello, All!

I've been having a problem for quite some time now with the built-in Broadcom NIC chipset in this Dell OptiPlex GX620 the BBS is on under ArcaOS 5.0.7. Broadcom NICs are notorious for collapsing under high-speed data transfers. If you use my FTP server for anything but a smallish file, the entire system locks up.

Side note: I have been wanting to buy another computer for the BBS but I am working on giving my mom my Dell OptiPlex 7040 and instead using a Dell OptiPlex 7010 I bought (this is 1/4 the size of the 7040 and has an i5 instead of an i7; I won't notice much difference for what I want to do). In return, I'll get her old but perfect-for-the-BBS HP Elite 8000 SFF desktop which the BBS will run smoothly on.

Back to the NIC, I'd remembered that I'd bought a 10/100 NIC decades ago by a company called Davicom (a Taiwanese company) that was rock solid reliable under OS/2. After doing a bit of research on the Web, I found the model number and where I could download its OS/2-native drivers. I found one of the NICs on eBay for $12 including tax and shipping, so it's on its way here.

That should fix things until I get that Elite 8000 and move the BBS over to it.

It's funny that I remembered all of that info twenty-some years later but I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night.

-- Sean

--- FleetStreet 1.27.1
    * Origin: Outpost BBS Local Console * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10323 (618:618/1)